Monday, October 4, 2010

General Conference & Heading Out

Singing in the choir.

HERROWW!!!

General Conference was AWESOME! I have NO idea how I ever could have slept through any of the sessions before. What was I thinking?!?! Counsel from the prophets and apostles just for us on how to be happier and live better?! That's like better than Harry Potter 6! Which was the best one yet! It was so amazing though. Singing in the priesthood session was super fun but yeah I didn't really get much time on the camera but it's ok since it was worth just the experience. I wouldn't have minded not being on it at all. Although some elders got like 5 hours of it like my friend Elder Hardy who was in my hall last year. Funny how many people seem to fit that description since the elder I was sitting next to in the choir was like 5 doors down the hall Ha.

I got your letter mom about that crazy Samaritan guy who returned your purse to the police station and didn't take anything. There are good people left on the earth! And it astounds me that they live so close to Washington DC! haha. My friend Elder Kirby is heading out to the DC mission tomorrow night.

Yeah I don’t know why they got a ridiculously early flight for me to get out to San Francisco. I can only assume that it's the cheapest option which I'm sure you can understand. I mean I suppose I ought to be used to it by now considering how many really early cheap flights you've booked over the years dad :D! But it's not too bad. The only problem I have with it is the fact that I’m never gonna get that hour of sleep back and no one will have any sympathy for me since I won't be able to cite jet lag or anything for my exhaustion.

So there was an elder here like last transfer who got called to Taiwan but ended up heading to SF since he had like a cyst on his back side or something so he couldn't ride a bike. So I don’t know what that's all about but I guess I can only believe what they said when they promised I'd be buying one... good to be safe though so thanks for the monies! Speaking of which, Elder Holland's talk! So good! I think my favorite were the three at the second half of priesthood session by the first presidency. They were all so good! Pride, Holy Ghost, and the 3 R's of choice. So good. Just too bad I couldn't take notes in the conference center. Oh well.

Just got back from the temple which was really good today despite the fact that I kept falling asleep during the session since I went to bed a little late and woke up early to see my companion Elder Buss off (off to Toulouse this morning). I sat next to Elder Kenison who is hilarious and always falls asleep during the sessions so we kept prodding each other when one of us would drift off. The only problem was when we both fell asleep.... Anyways, when we came out it was raining which is really pretty from the temple and as we were waiting for the rain to stop we ran into a girl named Annie Liu who's from Beijing! and served in Jarom's mission last year! So cool. So we talked a bit and then left when the rain settled down. It was muy bien.

Also, Elder Malm from Sweden? Relation to the Malm Grandpa B baptized? Or is that like Smith there?

Lately, I’ve been really enjoying reading the scriptures. There's so much there that you can only really access through learning by the spirit. I was happy to hear a lot of the general authorities talk about this subject this weekend. Learning by the spirit through that "direct line" that Elder Oaks talked about. So essential. I love just reading a passage of scripture and pondering it cause I get so much more out of it that way. For example it's taken me a week of personal study to get through the first 11 chapters of Matthew cause there's so much there. I know you're probably already pretty good at this but I encourage you to read and study and really ponder the scriptures. There's so much there if we take the time to really think and put effort into them. I can't imagine why I didn't study the scriptures before I left on my mission but can only assume it was due to the villainous influence of VIDEO GAMES!!!! Or something. Starcraft 2 was pretty fun though... point is, the scriptures are better. I love the New Testament. However I have 3 minutes left and still need to respond to Joel.

Love you guys! Thanks for your support and examples to me! Have a great week!

-Elder Ian Christensen!

No comments:

Post a Comment