Thursday, November 4, 2010

Current Events (in the life of a missionary)

HAI! Thanks for the emails guys! Had a good week this week. Lots of training actually. Had a zone training on Wednesday and then a new missionary follow-up training on Thursday. Then Elder Luo and I did weekly planning on Friday so basically the whole week was pretty qingsong. Except then I went back to work on Saturday and was on exchanges with Elder Tang (our district leader) who's a great missionary. But going back to all day street contacting was a little rough haha. Not used to it after so much training. Although we did have a lesson with a man that Elder Luo and I contacted on Tuesday. Brother Chen. He's a 70-year-old man from Vietnam but whose mandarin is his first language. Really cool guy. Has a lot of questions like who is God? Where did we come from? Where are we going? What’s our purpose in life? Etc. Basically, Elder Luo and I were like "Yes! We have answers!" He has a lot of promise.

We're gonna go visit a former investigator tonight who lives in this super ghetto area of downtown where drunk black people hang out on the street at night and yell obscenities at one another. Should be a blast. I'm excited anyway. Haha. We went there last time and couldn't find his address, but it turned out it was written wrong on the teaching record 441 instead of 411. Tonight should have better luck hopefully.

Had a really cool experience this week following the Spirit which I already told Michelle. Elder Tang and I walked past this girl waiting for the bus and as we turned the corner, I just kept feeling that we should go talk to her. So I told Elder Tang and it turned out he had the same impression. No way that was coincidence. Just nice to know God is prompting us and leading us whether we realize it or not. Just so I don't leave you hanging, we went back and talked with the girl... didn't set up an appointment or anything but left her our contact information. So I guess we'll see...

Went out to the Golden Gate Bridge and some museum that was closed on Mondays... (meaning we probably won't be visiting it very soon)... good fun. Met up with Elders Lee and Huang which was fun. Elder Lee is this hilarious guy from Arizona and we always laugh really hard. Which makes me feel not so much like a missionary... but I guess it IS p-day... and if you can't laugh on p-day when CAN you laugh? Not that I don't laugh throughout the week... but Elder Lee is, indeed, hilarious. I just hope we don't ever become companions cause I’m not sure how well we'd focus haha.

Our training on Wednesday was about listening and asking questions. Which was really good. I think that's a skill probably everyone can improve on. One thing I've been working on lately is developing my charity for others and I think by improving my ability to really listen and care about their worries and problems will help a lot. Although I think sometimes Elder Luo and I do that wayyy too well since a lot of our lessons are like a lot of our investigators just sharing about themselves... I guess that's the danger of having mostly old people as investigators haha.

Thanks for the update on life in the real world. Things are going fairly well here as I suppose I’ve already kind of demonstrated. Also, dad, I like how you assume that I hear about things like rallies in D.C. haha. Being a missionary makes you SO cut off from the rest of the world haha. Like srsly. Man. I don't hear about ANYTHING. Like I think the Giants are doing really well this season since everyone is always out honking their horns late at night and packed into bars and stuff but I have no idea where they are right now in the rankings and I certainly don't know who they’re playing. So I guess unless it's blatantly obvious, or church related, I'm fairly oblivious. Sounds like a fun rally though.

Sorry you have to be without mom for so long though. Perhaps this would be a good time to hone your skills at the accordion. Or perhaps fly fishing. Maybe taking a couple gourmet cooking classes would not be out of the question. Just a few suggestions. On the other hand you could also just spend your spare time reading the scriptures. Which is what I would do.

I need to go since I've already been emailing for awhile. Thanks for you all your love and support guys! Oh also, could you send me Aunt Jo's mailing address since I still need to write her back for the package she sent me but I don't know her address... Also yeah I got Aunt Katherine's package the night before Halloween haha. Packed full of all sorts of goodies. Haha thank her for me. I'll be sure to write her back as well. And, yes I will write you a letter and send pictures and stuff. As soon as I have time haha.

Gotta go. Love you mom and dad!

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment