Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Insane or Just a Little Crazy

Hai Gaiz!

Thanks for your letters. I actually moved into a new apartment this week that's kind of like the Biltmore Estate. Except for all the grounds and bathrooms and stuff. Ok so I didn't actually move but were I to I definitely would go to a place like the Biltmore.... or the Ritz...

Had kind of a rough week this week. Firstly, that rather eccentric, possibly mentally ill investigator we had Brother Kuang appears to have had a more serious handicap than we had originally anticipated. He basically thinks everyone in our Branch knows about his past and background and are in league with his stepfather who is out to get him. Also, since they won't say anything about it he can't get along with them because he thinks they're just putting on a sort of front to fool him for some reason. He talked to President Pearce (our branch president) which somewhat quieted his concerns as he seems to trust President Pearce, but he said that he couldn't get baptized into a church where the members have a problem with him (as imagined as it is). And then later last night he called and said he didn't want to continue meeting with us because he didn't see that it helped his life at all to meet with us and accept the gospel. I did my best to resolve his concerns by hearing him out and then trying to bear testimony and the importance of faith, patience, and baptism... but it really didn't work. It's just kind of tough to have someone you meet with for such a long time just completely drop you in one day... Especially since this was really the first time he came up with these types of concerns... Why does he have to be so insane!?!?

I was translating during Sacrament Meeting (horribly... I didn't even really understand what I was saying in English... but fortunately there was only 1 person listening to the headset), but Elder Wu was sitting next to Kuang Dixiong and told me that during the sacrament he took out his phone (which was off) and said "they're putting poison in the water!!!"... which to me doesn't really appear to be the action of someone who is mentally stable...

We also lost a couple of other baptismal dates this week as well, one because of parental opposition, and one because she is too busy and doesn't have time to really "investigate" as it were.

So not altogether an excellent week. But also not all that bad since we added two new really cool investigators on Thursday who have a lot of promise. One thing I really feel I need to do better is to have a greater influence of the Spirit in my life. I just feel like, and Elder Wu kind of agrees, our lessons don't have as strong a spirit as they used to and we're not entirely sure why. But we went through the "Remember This" sections of Preach My Gospel today and found some things we felt we could be doing better and so this week we're definitely going to strive to improve.
Our recent convert, Brother Ouyang, has a really weak testimony that seriously needs hedging up. Especially since he and his family went out house-hunting yesterday instead of coming to church which really really really annoys me. I can't believe these people. What makes me the most frustrated I think is when people know what they should be doing and then don't do it. Frustrates the heck out of me! The Heck!!! But I guess it just helps me know how Heavenly Father feels when we don't do what we know we should be doing... annoyed and really disappointed...

Anyways, sounds like the country's going to heck in a hand basket or however the saying goes. But I guess if that means a couple days off for you, dad, then that's pretty good. Also, speaking of Taiwan, we ran into like 2 separate Taiwanese girls (yes more young girls...) yesterday who both agreed to meet with us... so... they're not all THAT bad...

Yeah I kinda gave up on Cantonese since it's super hard to pronounce and remember and no one that speaks Cantonese and doesn't speak Mandarin is interested in the church anyways. Standard conversation with Lao Taitai from Taishan, Guangdong:

Me: What do you think is most important in life?
Them: HEALTHY BODY IS MOST IMPORTANT!
Me: Why do you feel that way?
Them: OF COURSE IT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT LAAAAA!!! NO HEALTHY BODY NO NOTHING LAAAA!!!).

A little stereotypical I'll admit but after 5 months of talking to them... I think I'm at least a little qualified to make that kind of a judgment call... mostly since Elder Wu and I have really changed the demographic of people that we contact and have had way more success as a result.
Not that it comes without a certain price... since Elder Chen and I were on exchanges on Saturday night and contacted a girl who was totally flirting with us (i.e. “You guys have such sweet smiles!!!”)... and then she came to church on Sunday and kept complimenting me about various things... kind of funny. Fortunately, she lives in the sisters’ area and they set a baptismal date with her for the 27th of next month so I guess it's all good.

Anyways, I gtg get a new camera now... and Elder Wu has to go record himself playing piano to send to his girlfriend... so… thanks for all your emails! I love you guys! I'm grateful for your support and prayers and I know they're helping. I hope next week will go better and I’m pretty sure it will.

Love you!

1 comment:

  1. Ian --

    From your description of Mr. Kuang, I have no doubt but that he IS mentally ill: classic paranoia. He needs professional help. Some people with that illness can be rendered functional through pharmaceutical therapy, so that may make all the difference for him. Until he gets into the sane world, though, I would not encourage you to devote your time to trying to convert him. You would only be adding a huge burden to the home teaching roster. Not to mention that if his mental state deteriorates further, he could become dangerous.

    Roland is doing great in south Texas. If he has had to deal with any people suffering from paranoid schizophrenia or other forms of dementia, he hasn't mentioned those in his letters.

    Come to think of it, when I was on my mission, Elder Hunt and I visited a middle aged sister who was in a mental hospital in Geneva. The strange thing was that, as far as I could tell, she was perfectly sane. Fortunately she was given a lot of freedom and treated well, so I can't say that she was abused in any way by the system.

    We will continue to pray for your safety and success. You have amazing abilities so I know that you will make a real difference even though it may be difficult to see when you're in the middle of the situation.

    Barry Wood (sorry - I don't know how to change the "commenter name" as set up by Roland's Mom.)

    ReplyDelete