Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Acupuncture Approach...

Sounds pretty weird... the week was pretty weird here too... although it had less to do with the Federal Government... Had a pretty hilarious day on Wednesday. Just like really random. We have an investigator named Sister Luo who we've run into like 3 times randomly on the street (hen you yuan fen... not sure I entirely believe in the concept but it's proved to be pretty useful for adding new investigators) who works as a Chinese traditional medicine person in Chinatown. She specializes in ba guanr! (where they put those cups on your back and see how purple it gets... the more stagnant your qi, the more purple it gets... also apparently has some healing properties or something)... So anyways, we had a lesson with her on Wednesday but before we were going to meet with her, we ran into her as she was on her way to work in Chinatown so she took us to her office (she's pretty enthusiastic about everything and is really cool and funny.. and really likes us! haha) and we met her teacher Dr. Chen, who specializes in acupuncture. We chatted for a couple minutes and Elder Wu mentioned how he has bad knees and sometimes they hurt when he walks a lot or goes downstairs... then were like "well we'll just come back at 2:30 since we can't meet in our office anyway cause we couldn't find any male member to come along to our lesson. When we went back, Dr. Chen was like "come here and I'll treat your knees" and started feeling Elder Wu's knees and diagnosing him and stuff. Ended up sticking a couple needles in his arms in the joints by his elbows and the whole time I was like "uhh... ok..." Then Sister Luo wanted us to go meet her daughter who was working in Chinatown for the day like 4 or 5 blocks away and Dr. Chen was like, "Wait 20 minutes and I'll take out the needles..." Turns out, Sister Luo's daughter also has a degree in Chinese traditional medicine and she was like, "Hey let's just go! My daughter can do it!" So we ended up walking all over Chinatown with needles in Elder Wu's arms so he couldn't move them and was like, "Ouch! It feels so weird and tingly!" So random. I was just thinking the whole time... Where else would this happen? (Just went across the street since Elder Wu needed to use the bathroom so I kind of lost my train of thought...) That's pretty cool that Chad and Joel are there in DC. Just like old times... except no me! But I'm sure you can just make a cardboard cutout of me (if you haven't already) with a couple recorded phrases that play when you go by. Whatever the case, had a fairly good week. Three investigators came to church again.. although Brother A'Yong changed to Brother Lin. But it was pretty good. Sister Zheng is still on track to be baptized this Sunday which is great. We taught her almost all the commandments at once on Friday and she was like, "Yeah no problem! I already do that anyway! Yeah that makes sense!" So pretty much no problem there. Super great investigator. Kind of like Sister Ying! Unfortunately, it seems like for every golden investigator, there are like 10 others who really aren't golden and run into insurmountable obstacles which then lead to them having to be dropped which is really annoying. Kind of like Yufei who was like, "I don't think this church is all that suitable for me cause I don't like obeying commandments..." Pretty lame. Better wrap this up and whatnot since we're gonna go to Japantown and see all the cherry blossoms and hang out and take pictures and stuff (I got your package and do have the other memory card... but the one I have in my camera now is 4 gigabytes so I kind of want to at least get a few more photos on it before I send it back...). Should be pretty fun. Love you! Thanks for your funny emairs! Also tell Chad I rove him!... Except that he's a freak of nature with red cheeks and a pointy ear... but aside from that... Bai bai! -Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment