Sunday, August 21, 2011

If You Fail to Plan...You Plan to Fail...

Herrowwww!

Howsit? I have not yet received said cookies or said birthday box, but that's ok. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. With packages, they generally just leave them at the mission office till someone in the zone goes there for some reason and picks them up. We haven't had anyone go to the mission home for a while for any reason so we still haven't gotten any of the stuff there.

In any case, your trip to Philidelphia sounds pretty exciting. Despite the fact it wasn't planned very well. But that's ok. When you make plans, you lose spontaneity and romance and stuff. At least that's my motto. Except not really cause we plan everyday now and I guess I've been at least partially converted to it and my motto is no longer the opposite of dad's. Although I still have a lot of work to do before I actually master goal setting and planning etc. Although Elder Luo and I have been running every morning for the past 2 weeks and are going strong on week 3... so... I feel pretty accomplished about that. I've heard (from Julie Belnap and from no other source so I can't hardly be sure if it's true or not... I'm inclined to think not...) that to establish a new habit you have to keep it up for 3 weeks before it becomes solid. However, I've discovered that a large part of life is about doing challenging things that you may not really want to do but learning to love it. Or something like that.

We didn't have any investigators in Sacrament Meeting this week which was a bummer. Linda had to go to San Jose for some reason and then no one else who promised to show up did... However Linda really is our only investigator with a fair amount of promise. We went over to her (Sister Ye's) house yesterday and talked to her for awhile and set some good expectations of meeting 3 times a week and having daily contact which we think will really help her progress. She's just meeting quite a bit of opposition from friends who seem to mindlessly regale her with accusations of our church being a cult. (Can you use regale that way? Oh well I just did...). However, she does have a fair amount of promise. I do really like her though. She's really funny and has a weird twitch type thing when she blinks where she just crinkles up her whole face. Also her new husband (she married him! which is great cause it remove a barrier to her baptism) and her are always arguing, but in a kind of hilarious way where they're both randomly voicing their opinions and neither really listens to the other and then they start turning to us and explaining themselves as if we might have some solution or judgment of who's right and who's wrong. Pretty funny.

Our new member, brother Chen (who's also reallllllyyyyyy hilarious because he's always got this really funny grin on and his accent is ridiculous since he pronounces his Y's with an R sound like Ruan Lai and Mu Ru and is always saying really funny things) was like "wow I think you really have qing diao or like romance or something haha.

Anyway, it's funny that you mention the weather cause it's not hot or humid here either... although it was pretty hot yesterday... but for the most part it's kind of like paradise here.
Also, that's interesting that you came over to Marina Food the other day dad. Looks like I should've gone there proselyting. You probably saw our church then since it's right across the street from Marina Food. Pretty exciting. I guess that just means there won't be anything for me to take you to see when you come to pick me up at the end of my mission. Oh well. We can just go to the Oakland ghetto.

That's pretty crazy that Alicia's engaged right now. I can't imagine being engaged. She actually sent me a letter this week and mentioned she was going to go to California to meet her boyfriend's family which does sort of indicate a level of seriousness in the relationship, but little did I know the true extent of it. That's cool though, I'll have to write her back now I guess haha.
Congratulations on your passing the tour guide test thing mom! You're gonna be the best tour guide ever!

Also Brother Jiang has kind of fallen off the map just because he found a new job that works him 12 hours a day and hasn't had a day off yet... kind of frustrating because it's not as good as his last job was and now he has the original problem of not being able to come to church... sigh... I'm sure the Lord has a plan for him somehow I just hope he can get baptized sometime soon.

Thanks for your emairs! I love you! I'll miss you on my 20th birthday on the 20th of August, which sounds pretty auspicious although I'm sure it'll be much like any other day... oh well!

Love you!

-Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment