Sunday, August 28, 2011

One Year Older and Wiser

Herrrowww!

Yes I am 20 now. So I am no longer a teenager. It doesn't feel all that different. However I might be a little more brief in this email since we have to go back for Elder Luo to pack.

Why pack you ask? Well I'm glad you inquired. He's going to SUNSET! Chinese speaking still!!! It was pretty funny since we were joking about him getting sent there and now he actually is. Not that Sunset is super horrible... but it is cold, and dark, and members don't really like the missionaries that much over there... and there is hardly anyone to teach... However I'm sure he can turn it around. My new companion will be an elder from Hong Kong named Elder Lin. He's actually coming over from the English program as a zone leader in San Francisco West zone. I've heard he's super super obedient and doesn't like to speak Chinese with white people so I might be speaking a lot of English in the next 2 transfers before Elder Lin heads back to Hong Kong. In any case, I'm sure there's a lot of things I can learn from Elder Lin.

We had a pretty excellent week this week. I really feel like we were able to find a lot of the elect in this area. We found a very golden investigator in our English class this past week who actually approached me and asked, "How can I develop a faith in Christ?" So we immediately met with him once class was over and started to teach him. We gave him a Book of Mormon on Thursday and by Sunday morning when he came to church he had finished 1st and 2nd Nephi. Pretty crazy. I don't think I've ever had an investigator who has had such an excitement for reading the scriptures. He owns a restaraunt in Fremont and is pretty busy but is really humble and willing to learn about and follow Christ.

We also went to the Visitor's Center with one of our investigators Linda Xu who is coming along really well. She loved the visitor's center and it was almost magical the way the Spirit worked upon her since out of the blue she mentioned the Word of Wisdom which is a commandment she had previously said she wouldn't be able to accept. She was like "I think I can live it now." It was pretty great. The only concern that she has is she doesn't really like coming to church because she can't understand English and doesn't really like listening to the translation. So she's planning on going to the Oakland branch this coming Sunday to check it out which is something that we discouraged because we'd love her to get integrated into the group here but she's not to be dissuaded. Which is kind of strange because she has been developing some relationships in the Ward here. However, we're still working with her to help her resolve any other concerns and continue building her faith in the Book of Mormon.

Anyways, I've gotta go email the rest of the kiddos. Meaning michelle and Joel.... but anyways, thanks for your letters! That sounds pretty exciting about the basketball game dad. Did you look it up on Youtube? Cause that sounds pretty funny haha. Also since you were able to chew out the Chinese DCM which is always fun.

My birthday wasn't anything too fantastic although I did really enjoy all of your presents. And despite what you think about the cookies not being fresh, they were actually really delicious. Also, the socks are very comfortable.

In any case, I love you! Have a great week!

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment