Sunday, September 4, 2011

Where Angels Fear to Tread

Hello!

I wish we had a good earthquake here to call people to repentance. Sometimes I feel like we need that here.

This elder next to me was telling me an elder from Hawaii who got called to Oakland and who's patriarchal blessing said he would get called to a city where even angels are afraid to walk hahaha. So that makes me feel pretty hardcore. Fortunately, I'm over in Union City/Hayward/Fremont where I'm sure some of the more courageous angels would endeavor to take a stroll.

In any case, that sounds like a pretty golden investigator that those sisters have. We have a couple who are pretty golden as well... and also some who need a bit more work... However, we had a great week this week. I have never taught so many lessons! We taught a total of 15. We also added 3 new investigators even though we didn't spend a whole lot of time doing traditional finding like street contacting or tracting or that kind of thing. It was really great.

We also added 2 baptismal dates that were immediately dropped on Sunday. 1 because she urgently needs to return to China and may not be coming back which was really too bad because she is really prepared to accept the Gospel. Another because he didn't come to church along with his wife who is one of our more stable investigators, Linda Xu. Really frustrating that the two of them seem so flaky. Something that really bugs me is people who profess to have a very strong faith in Christ but then don't keep the commandments. It seems so hypocritical. But then I suppose I can't say that I'm perfect either and so I shouldn't judge them so harshly. It is frustrating however and we'll definitely strive harder to help them shape up.

Things are actually going really well with Elder Lin as my new companion. He's really motivated to improve and be very diligent which is wonderful and we're getting along very well. I'm also learning a lot about how to be a more effective zone leader since Elder Lin is very organized and planned out. Also, we only speak Chinese one with another which is a very pleasant surprise. I didn't even need to say anything, that's just the way things are going. I think Elder Lin wants to improve his Mandarin as well and he does actually speak it pretty well. I think probably the best out of all the Hong Kong elders in the mission. That was Elder Luo's analysis anyway.
That sounds like a pretty lame anticlimactic hurricane experience. I heard they had an earthquake here on like Tuesday night but I must have slept through it cause I didn't feel anything. Also I've only heard one person talking about it so maybe there wasn't one...

Yes dad I did get that dictionary which is really good! In fact it's sitting by my side as I write. Thanks!

Anyways, Elder Lin's done with his email so I'd better wrap up. Plus we gotta go play some piano. We're teaching a lesson today to a sister who is getting baptized on Saturday, Sister Sun! She's pretty golden. She's actually been baptized before into a church in China but we explained authority and she was like "oh ok I'll get baptized again I suppose." Haha. She's actually here on vacation visiting her son and so we're helping her get baptized and then sending her back haha. We are kind of pressed for time to finish teaching her though so we scheduled an appointment this afternoon so we can get everything taught in time for Saturday.

In any case, love you! Thanks for your emails and support! Have a great week!

-Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment